Monday, January 18, 2016

A Day in the Life of Me! - Week 1 Challenge of the MTBoS

adayinthelife 
A bit late, but I have been thinking about this post all week.
My day seems to be filled with lots of activity from beginning to end.  I feel like my day in general begins by helping students before the day starts and finishes with after school help for students.  I hope you enjoy "a day in the life of Mrs. Duncan."

4:30 Alarm goes off (last night I thought I wanted to wake up early and work out) Reset my alarm, no work out for me today.
5:15 Get up, shower, get ready, eat.  Thankful that my husband wakes up early to make my son breakfast and pack his lunch.
6:10 Wake up seven year old for breakfast.
6:30 Leave for work (35 min away).  Drop off son at morning care.
7:15 Arrive at work a bit later than I want.  There are two students here wanting help reviewing trigonometry.  Help students and arrange my files to be used for first period.
7:40 Start lesson logs. I have to give all the credit to some great bloggers that I found!  Sarah Hagan is amazing: if you are reading this blog, then please check out Sarah's blog it is the best at Math = Love.  Thank you to Sarah Hagan I used your log notes with the loop method.  So credit for the loop must be given to Amy Gruen with square root of negative one teach math. Today, we refreshed using the loop method to evaluate logarithms.  Then we played log war.  This was so fun!
 Students got practice evaluating logarithms (about 30 per round).  Students used negative powers, fractional powers, bases other than ten.  This is their first exposure to logarithms.  (Some have had experience with logarithms in honors chemistry.)


 I have three classes of junior level math, which we call integrated math 3.  So I repeat the same lesson at 7:40, 8:35, and 9:20.
Playing Log Wars
Playing Log wars
10:15 New class period of seniors for integrated math 4.  This week we are refreshing all of the trigonometry they learned last year so that we can work toward trigonometric proofs!  WOO HOO!  They are probably going to dread that part.  Most are excited as of today (because it is review and because I present this as the "best unit ever").  Today we are finding the exact values of reciprocal functions and values on the unit circle. FUN!
11:10 Break for 30 minutes of lunch!  Two great things about this - finally I can go pee!  I also get to eat!
11:45 Back to the log wars lesson!
12:45 One more lesson of integrated math 4.  Trig!
1:30 Planning period! It was a fog of what I actually did.  I think that I revised a short quiz on solving logarithms for later in the week.  I made a mini-trig table quiz for the senior class.  
2:25  School is officially over.  But I have about 6 kids coming after school.  Most are juniors looking for help with logarithms.  I help them until 3:15.

3:20 I leave school to get into the dreaded (long) car line at my son's school.  Ugh!  Who has time to wait in these lines all day? (Seriously, people are here over 30 min early every day!)
3:40 We are finally out of car line and driving back home.
4:10 Picking up my 4 year old from preschool.

4:30 Made it back home.
4:30:01  I noticed my Stitch fix is here!  This is awesome- clothes come to your door in your size and fashion style.  Keep what you want, send back what you don't.  Another blog post about that. 
This was in my 4th fix.  I love it!

In the mean time, you can check this out here: https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/6208738.

4:35-5:15 Make dinner and eat.

5:15 Do 50/50 with my kids.  50 push ups 50 sit ups
6:15 Leave for ju-jitsu practice for the 7 year old. Grading papers during ju-jitsu from 6:30-8.

8:15-8:45  Back home.  Helping kids with showers, bedtime stories, prayers, tuck in bed.  (This is a late night for the kids!)

8:45 I am tired.  Take the dog out on a walk.
9:00 Finally sit down from the day.  Look at personal email and facebook.
9:30 I am done for the day, good night!













No comments:

Post a Comment