Friday, February 27, 2015

This week in class we are PARCC testing and using a block schedule.  We typically have an 8 period 50 minute schedule, so I am able to get in some good exploration activities.  First we practiced using construction tools to construct the perpendicular bisectors of a triangle.  We found the circumcenter and circumscribed a triangle about the circle.  It was interesting to see how students excelled at this activity (hands-on application) that do not traditionally do well in class.
To extend the idea of perpendicular bisectors and circumcenters of triangles, I designed a coordinate geometry activity.  Feel free to use this activity. Exploring with the circumcenter

I will re-post with a summary of the class activity.



Objective: Use coordinate geometry as a method for finding the intersection of perpendicular bisectors of a triangle, the circumcenter.  Write the equations of the lines of the perpendicular bisectors of sides of a triangle.  Use the circumcenter to write the equation of a circle that is circumscribed about the given triangle.

2 comments:

  1. This activity was great. It was a perfect extension. I liked that I gave students the freedom to use their devices in class. They were not completely competent in using midpoint, distance, or equation of a line formula. But they could quickly search for the formula and look at an example of how to do the formula. (Which they have learned but have not practiced, thus forgotten.) Students needed a bit more than 50 minutes to complete, an hour would have afforded the majority of the class the time to successfully complete. As it was, only one class was completely successful by the end. I would use this activity again in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    Thanks for sharing your Exploring with the circumcenter activity. I just was informed that I am not scheduled to teach Geometry next year :(. I will have to hold onto this activity in hopes that I will teach Geometry in the near future.
    I created an activity using Geometers Sketchpad to introduce my students to basic Geometry Constructions. You can view the lesson on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J322T3nVXnM
    Thanks for Sharing!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete